Roofing can be a risky endeavor. Whenever your house needs a new roof, or roof repairs, little should be left to chance. However, tempted you are to go the D-I-Y route – beware! Luckily, professional roof repair and installation exists. Why is that important? Because, among others, there are numerous safety risks involved in work. Plus, professional roofing companies are already set up for it. For example, specialty tools. Hence, it is likely best left at the front of professionals!
Moreover, no matter how simple your roof looks, there are additional hazards to be aware of. First, it is pitched. Second, there’s no railing. And, third, it’s a long way from the floor. Therefore, if something goes wrong, you could get seriously hurt. Maybe, even killed. Even if, you have got a good flow going. For example, several shingles came off at the last storm. Or, perhaps your roofing needs serious repairs. Thus, it’s tough to know if you should buckle up and get it done yourself, or call in the expert professionals.
Professional Roof Repairs vs D-I-Y Roofing. Which is better?
Let us assess unspoken threats. Roofers possess a balance factor, similar to what sailors call, ocean legs. Sort of, something instinctual. Likewise, roofers have spent much time doing this. Most, feel comfortable. Also, they understand how to walk on a roof. Similarly, on a roof that is slick. Moreover, they possess the correct equipment. Safety and otherwise. Additionally, this comes to roof repairs pros, from years of experience. Perhaps, that alone has quelled your notion of being on a roof.
Invariably, some homeowners, will not spend time on their roofing. Maybe, out of fear. On the other hand, others, will definitely want to. For those who do, it could give you an opportunity to experience being like a skydiver. Or, a rock climber. If, you’re already familiar on the peaks, keep in mind that traversing a roof is “an entirely different creature.” However, being on a roof, comes with similarities, too. For instance, gusts of wind can reach you, out of nowhere. Plus, you will likely find yourself in greater danger, when carrying an OSB panel, or something similar. Thus, below, we’ve given a comparison between D-I-Y roofing and professional roof repairs. In an unbiased professional analysis, for your consideration.
Do It Yourself Roof Repairs:
Hence, after you have considered your skill level, you need to attend to the task at hand. Obviously, roof repairs seem a lot like a cakewalk, right? There aren’t that many ingredients. And, the chore itself sounds and looks simple. Yet, just like a cake, you will need to know what you are doing to end up with a good one. However, this metaphor breaks apart, if you create a terrible cake batter that you cannot bake properly. Likewise, when you do a poor job of roof repairs. Except, a cake batter can be thrown out! But, you will have to live with the roof repair, year-round. Otherwise, spend additional money to have your dwelling re-roofed. Thus, all this is very important to consider in advance. Agreed?
Consequently, painting is the most straightforward and most frequently endeavored D-I-Y project. By contrast, kitchen makeovers and renovation, is the least frequent. Therefore, it seems logical that roof repairs must be somewhere in between. But, whether it’s nearer to kitchen renovation, or painting, varies. For instance, critical factors are pitch, height and how much knowledge you have with roofing. Would you agree with that statement? So, let’s break it down and explore Pro vs D-I-Y, a bit further.
D-I-Y Roofing Pros –
- First off, if it is a simple repair, fixing yourself may not be quite as bad. For example, applying some sealant over a small roof leak. Or, replacing a shingle or two, So, you save contracted labor costs. Furthermore, if you built your home or replaced your roof in the past, then you might have some shingles that are leftover. Thus, you avoid the cost of hiring somebody. And, purchasing product too.
- Secondly, if you constructed your own house or just replaced your roof, you might already have excess shingles, so you save on product costs.
- You’ll also save the price of employing someone.
- Furthermore, you can have the opportunity to amaze your wife and neighbors by demonstrating your handyman talents.
- Thirdly, instant fixing. – Waiting to get a contractor to show up could be nerve-wracking. Especially so, if you have a roof emergency. Certainly, if you can do the repairs without being forced to schedule with the contractor, it’s more desirable.
D-I-Y Roof Repairs Cons –
- If, irrespective of what work is involved, walking around on the roof is not safe. Roofers spend every single day up there. Which means, they now have a higher degree of experience. And, know how to assess the dangers. Additionally, if you aren’t exactly sure of what to do, then you risk making the problem even bigger. Not good!
- Or, if you do not know what you are doing, you can turn a minor problem into a much more significant matter. For instance, a small leakage could be turned into an interior structural issue. If, it’s not taken care of the right way, that is.
- Moreover, you could cost yourself plenty of extra money by making mistakes. For example, buying the wrong type of shingles. Installing the shingles wrongly. Or, incorrectly installing the flashing.
- It is risky! And, dangerous! Falling off from a roof can cost you thousands of dollars in medical bills. Worse yet, your life!
- Plus, you stand to embarrass or shame yourself. Possibly, in front of your wife or neighbors, when D-I-Y doesn’t go smoothly, accurately or differently than the anticipated end result.
Safety Risks –
- Remember, any roof replacement and repair comes with the possibility of injury. Best case scenario, is that you only hurt your hands with the work. Alternatively, the worst case is falling from the roof to serious injury or even death! So, if you are one to accept the danger, go for it. Otherwise, best call in the trained, experienced pros.
- Negotiating the Assurance – Not being a certified expert, yet selecting to repair the roof yourself, you could be risking your builder’s contract. Meaning, next time you face a roofing emergency, you would not be able to use the builders warranty at all.
- Unexpected Problem Detection – No matter how keen you may be to fix the roof, or how “knowledgeable” you think you are, you do not know how to foresee possible problems, that may crop up, in your roof, in the future. A skilled eye will detect even a negligible imminent issue, while up there fixing the existing one. By the way, serving as your neighbors shingle pile maker, does not count as knowledge.
Professional Roof Repairs:
Furthermore, the crew working on your roof, should have years of experience. It is vital to choose a roofer who has put in many hours of work. This, is what shapes the essential skills in roofing contractors. Likewise, all expert roofers have comprehensive training. Both, in application and repair methods. Plus, safety and procedure. Plus, an expert will always have more information regarding roof install methods, than any regular owner. Or, any do-it-yourself-er. Thus, below are the pros and cons of professional roof repairs.
Professional Roofing Pros–
- You do not have to get up on the top of the world. That saves you a lot. For instance, peace of mind, among other factors. Similarly, when you employ an expert, you know the job is going to be completed correctly. And, it will be done well. A roofer will also be able to tell you if there is anything else related to your roof, that you need to give attention. Additionally, often times, several experts quote whatever’s going on with your roof. Discussion can ensue, as to why it needs to be fixed. Plus, how much it will cost. Consequently, if you have an expert repair your roof, you are assured the problem was taken care of. Correctly, and forever.
- A roofing expert will also be able to tell you if there’s anything else with your roof that you need to know about. Many professionals offer a free inspection. So, you know exactly what’s happening with your roof. They’ll show you why it needs to be fixed. And, give you an accurate cost quote, in advance.
Additional Professional Roof Repairs Pluses
- Avoiding getting up on the roof always helps to save you plenty in peace of mind.
- When you hire experts, you know the work is going to be finished precisely. And, executed efficiently.
- Likewise, when swapping your whole roof, getting professionals typically assures the builders warranty is accessible. For example, the GAF Golden Pledge Lifetime Warranty. Particularly so, if it is fitted by certified expert professionals. This alone, can save you a lot of hardship in the future.
- Consequently, if the roofing company does anything incorrectly, you will be able to have it fixed at no additional cost!
- An added plus, is that your spouse and neighbors will look at your flawless new roof, in amazement.
Unexpected Roof Repairs Bonuses
- Saves Time – When you team up with a reliable roof contracting company, a specialist will listen to the problem, much more informed, than an amateur would. Due, to years of skill, experiences and all that. Thus, saving you a substantial adequate amount of time and nerves.
- Saves Money – The fact you will be hiring experts to do the job, certainly does mean spending more. Good contractors can tell what essentials are necessary. Then, buy them straight away, to fix the issue. Conversely, when you are working on the problem yourself, you will likely spend more money, on wrong choices, before you get it correct.
- Warranty Coverage – By hiring professionals, you receive manufacturer’s warranty. Or, artistry warranty. Hence, protecting you from any future costs involving roofing materials. And, further repair costs. Nobody, want to put a warranty on something, only to have to fulfill it later on. Thus, they will go the extra mile in the first place.
Professional Roof Repairs Cons –
- If it is an easy, or minor job, it might cost more to have an expert do it, as opposed to just fixing it yourself. However, the extra cost would not always overshadow the advantages. There’s also the bother of get experts out to your home when it’s suitable for you. Both, for preliminary inspection, and later when they come back to actually do the repair work. Lastly, if you have a repair you need to be done right away, you might have to wait. Often, trusted professionals are booked. In fact, depending on the time of the year, some roofers may be booked for weeks. Hence, the needed repairs may have to wait for trusted professionals to become available.
- However, sooner or later, they will be available. Therefore, the sooner you book them, the sooner you get into the queue to finish the repairs.
Additional Possible Negatives
- Unfortunately, the possibility of an unfinished poorly done j, does exist. Not every contractor is skilled and experienced. Additionally, some can be even shady. Or, charge top dollar for service, they don’t properly deliver. Therefore, before hiring a professional roof repair company, determine their credibility. And, capabilities. One way, is by checking their references. Also, ask around. Better safe than sorry, right?
- Like any home improvement project, roofing can be done either on your own, or with the aid of a contractor. Deciding which is right for you, has to do with your background, time availability, experience, weather, and guts. Remember, no matter what you do, give consideration to physical and financial safeties. Both, are essential parts of the overall process.
- However, roofing isn’t like simply painting a kitchen. It’s complicated. In fact, so complex that nationally syndicated columnist Tim Carter, remarks that books on roofing, often leave out essential steps and processes. Also, Carter argues that the cost of hiring a contractor might not be much higher, than the cost of D-I-Y roofing anyway. Furthermore, hiring a quality contractor is safer all the way around. Certainly, more so than doing it yourself. Unless, maybe, you have the experience, tools and skills related to roofing.
- In the end, you must decide. Factors to consider include, if you know what you’re doing. If it’s safe. And, if you will save money, time or other potential hardships.
Need Help, or Advice?
Can’t decide what to do about your needed roof repairs? Stumped? Or, gridlocked? How about this? Give Universal Residential Builders & Real Estate Group International Inc. (URBREG International Inc.) a toll-free call at 1 877 9 URBREG (1 877 987 2734). Toll-free in Canada and the USA. Or, in Mexico and internationally, reach us by phone at 011 52 1 322 146 8325. Or, maybe you can find what you need in more of our articles.
Another example, have a look at the guys from Sarge Roofing and Contracting in action. They’ve got roof repairs and replacement down to a fine science. Still think you can D-I-Y? Can you do what these guys do? If not, that just might be another con on the do-it-yourself list we previously provided.
You can email us anytime too, at: info . general @ urbreg . com. Or, simply click the image below. Then, complete and submit the online inquiry form. Our team will get back to you promptly. Unless, of course, you are a spammer. If so, you’ll hear from the anti-spam regulators, rather than us.
More Helpful Articles
First of all, depending upon what you are looking for, we’ve got lots more helpful pages and articles. For example, Mexico real estate. Along with that, comes great careers and jobs. Perhaps, you’d like to know what home renovations to avoid. Or, learn about URBREG’s company divisions, so you know where to address your employment inquiry. Maybe, it’s our franchise opportunities that interest you.
Lastly, if you are thinking about retaining us for your benefit, you’ll want to enroll in our rewards programs. Then, you’ll take advantage of and get all the benefits from our promotions, discounts and incentives. Get to our 7 step management system, or back to our home page HERE. Otherwise, hit the HELP BUTTON below to send us your request.
Either way, you’ll get sound advice from professional tradespeople, when you contact us. Sound advice, anchored by over 47+ years of residential construction experience. Also, considered to be the one-stop-shop, in the western hemisphere. Not only, for project management, but for everything residential.
Furthermore, whether you’re needing roof repairs, or buying, selling, designing, building or renovating real estate – you’ve certainly come to the #1 trusted choice. URBREG International Inc. According to the Better Business Bureau. We’ve got a rating of A+++. Top veteran, experienced and trusted network professionals, at URBREG International Inc.
Some Quick Roof Repairs Advice
Like anything, when it comes to roof repairs, you generally get what you pay for. Therefore, hire a reputable contractor, when one is needed. Furthermore, a contractor who will measure up to your expectations. Remember, since expectations vary, you need a contractor, who will “measure twice and cut once.” Not, the other way around! Consequently, if you prefer, we can take the roof repairs project and complete it for you. To do so, find out more about our Terms of Engagement.
Great Repairs, Restoration, Renovation Resources
Additionally, here’s a few more fabulous ideas. Firstly, follow URBREG Int’l., on Twitter. Similarly, LIKE US Facebook as well. Why? Because, there we always publish all our best and most interesting home-related info, first. Thus, by becoming a follower, you’ll stay up to date. Up to date, on all the latest trends.
Likewise, we give you many home improvement ideas, and photos. Fabulous home décor inspirations on Pinterest too. And, if you are into growing your own garden produce, have a look at our gardening article. Perhaps, you also need some fall landscaping tips. Or, maybe, advice for what to avoid on home renovation upgrades. Hence, go HERE.
Similarly, if photos are more to your liking, then you’ll love our Pinterest Boards. And, the URBREG Instagram Page. Also, we’d sure appreciate it, if you’d be so kind, to share this article. Let family, friends, neighbors and colleagues have a look at the info, too. Use your favorite social media provided here, to do so. Lastly, would you do that for us?
Roof Repairs Author’s Note:
Finally, Skywalker Roofing offers personalized care and outstanding quality work. Their roofing company offers wide-ranging services. Thus, both they and us are devoted to enhancing your home through top quality roofing. For your convenience, we last worked on and UPDATED this roof repairs article on February 23, 2019. Keep it handy, because spring is right around the corner.