Landscape Master Plan ~ The Critical Importance Of It …
When planning your property landscaping, there are basics to keep in mind. First of all, have a Landscape Master Plan for your entire landscape and gardens done up. This serves as your blueprint. Following it, makes it difficult to go wrong. Secondly, be sure to follow the rules and regulations that apply in your city and municipality, as well. The experience could turn into a really frustrating fiasco otherwise. Many considerations must be given to the overall Landscape Master Plan.
Landscape Master Plan ~ The Window to the Soul of your Yard
Most noteworthy, unifying and marrying hardscapes and Softscapes is paramount for functionality, circulation and overall beauty. Contrasting Wood with Stone, and Water with Fire takes a talent. These skills cannot be mastered overnight.
Of particular importance, the veteran Team of Professionals at URBREG Landscapers have been doing it since 1971. Generally speaking, if you can dream it, we can design and build it. #TheUrbaneTeamOfExperts can unveil the astonishing, for you. However, before you can begin to bring your landscaping ideas to life, be sure to consider some factors:
- A landscape where everything is the same and blended together, won’t draw people’s attention.
- A landscape where there are too many different plants and elements lacks unity and balance.
- Gardens the world over are created for healing the body, the mind and the soul.
- Beautifully landscaped Gardens remove stress and offer a sensation of well-being.
- Use landscape and home design trends as a guideline only, rather to keep your landscape unique, individual and personalized.
The Gardens Landscapes and Outdoor Living Spaces being contemplated must take hundreds of factors into account. This cannot be done effectively, in the absence of a landscape master plan.
- Plants play a critical role in Garden Design.
- A comprehensive Planting Plan and Plant Materials Takeoff must be part of your Landscape Master Plan.
- In addition to their beauty, plants soften, plants enhance, plants beautify, plants detoxify, plants provide habitat and plants provide nutrients.
- Plant materials are as varied as the stars in the night sky and choosing the right ones is no small task.
- That’s where an Urbane Landscape Designer can guide you.
- It is essential to have a Planting Plan and layout as part of your Garden Design.
- For more garden secrets, rules and tips, go to Landscaping styles, or Landscaping design rules and Landscaping tips.
- And don’t forget to use your plan throughout the process. The better prepared you are, the better your landscaping will be.
- YOUR PRIVATE GARDENS SHOULD BE DESIGNED AND BUILT EXCLUSIVELY FOR YOU. THE LANDSCAPE MASTER PLAN MUST TAKE ALL YOUR PERSONAL LIFE FACTORS INTO CONSIDERATION.
Necessary Considerations For The Landscape Master Plan Process
- A permit may be required before you start landscaping your yard and typically, within the cartridge of the landscape master plan, there will be a full checklist to act as a reminder of all to be done and to come. If you are planning something simple, you may get away with simply asking your neighbors or checking the City and Municipal Website.
- But if you are planning a large project; you’ll need to call the Urban Planning Office and ask about all the conditions and regulations. And, for sure, you need a landscape master plan. In some cities, the part of your yard that touches the sidewalk or curb belongs to the City. In other cases, it may belong to you, but the city may still have rights-of-way on it.
- If there are trees there, they probably belong to the city and you can be charged a steep fine for cutting them, or even for pruning them for that matter.
- Again, all these items are notated on your landscape master plan, so nothing gets overlooked or violated. When a tree that belongs to the city is sick and needs to be removed, it must be reported as such. In most cases, City employees will come and take it down.
- If the tree belongs to you, you most probably have to get a Tree-cutting/Pruning Permit before you can cut it. Also note that it may be forbidden to plant certain types of trees. It would be just too bad to plant a tree and then have to remove it. Another point in favor of having a comprehensive landscape master plan done up by a Landscape Design Firm that knows what they are doing!
- Contact our veteran Team of Landscape Master Plan Professionals for advice or to book a consultation, by using the handy button below.
- There are usually strict regulations regarding fences and hedges in front of buildings. Any fence or hedge that blocks the view on a corner is almost always forbidden. You can drop in at City Hall and ask for their ‘Landscaping Handbook’, or sometimes you can find the applicable information online at their Website. Whatever way to get, be sure to do so, in advance. It will save you the stress and expense of a ‘Stop Work Order’ and harsh fines.
- BE SURE TO GET THE PROPER PERMIT BEFORE YOU COMMENCE WORK, OR YOU COULD FACE A ‘STOP WORK ORDER’ AND POSSIBLE FINES FROM MUNICIPAL BYLAW ENFORCEMENT.
- Parking spaces and driveways are often severely regulated. Enlarging an existing driveway or creating a new one, can be forbidden. At the very least, there will be restrictions on what you can and cannot do. It would be sad (and costly) to pay to have your driveway redone only to have to pay again to have it put back the way it was, because you didn’t check into the rules, regulations and bylaws in advance.
- YOUR FRONT YARD LANDSCAPE IS YOUR PERSONAL PRESENTATION OF YOUR HOME TO THE PUBLIC. THEREFORE, THE IMPORTANCE OF A LANDSCAPE MASTER PLAN DESIGN FOR HARDSCAPES HARMONIZED WITH SOFTSCAPES CANNOT BE UNDERESTIMATED.
- When in doubt about a given issue, check your City’s Website or go to your City Hall. Brochures outlining all the rules that apply when landscaping your yard are often available. If you are using a quality, experienced and reputable Landscape Designer, he/she will already know all this and will attend to it for you in most cases, unless no retained to do so, or if it is not within the Terms of Engagement of their contract with you.
- A quality, veteran landscape general contractor is also worth his weight in gold. They know the ropes and do this work day in and day out.
- If you are planning to go it alone with family and friends, most landscape contractors will be glad to give you some advice, if you book an appointment to stop in at their Office.
- Urbane Landscapers Customer Relations Personnel are only too happy to assist you, when you need help with a landscape master plan, or when you get stumped.
Enough about municipal rules and restrictions. Let’s now consider a few factors that may change the shape of your yard landscaping ideas. As landscape garden designers, we are forever mindful of these factors when developing a Landscape Master Plan Design. It must integrate many factors and elements as we create a little piece of heaven in your own yard.
As the landscape master plan is being developed, you will review it regularly with your Urbane Landscape Master Plan Designer, or whoever you are using.
A Landscape Master Plan that will Showcase Your Property
Gardens should be a place of peace and relaxation and they need to offer somewhere to reflect and enjoy the beauty of your home and property. They need to be a place to putter or a place to seek refuge from the hectic outside world. Your gardens offer asylum and a place to heal mentally, spiritually and physically.
Garden Design is as vast domain. Every Garden having a reason for being. They’re as varied as the universe above us. You must define yours within the landscape master plan as it is being developed.
Browse our Website to get a whole host of invaluable information about the necessity of a landscape master plan, and many other topics as well.
THE URBREG LANDSCAPE DESIGNER WILL PREPARE A PLANT MATERIALS TAKEOFF AS PART OF THE OVERALL LANDSCAPE MASTER PLAN. THIS WILL BE DONE IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE COLOR, TEXTURE AND FORM FOR THE PLANTS YOU EITHER ‘LOVE OR HATE’. ONE IS AS IMPORTANT AS THE OTHER TO AVOID DISAPPOINTMENTS.
Why A Landscape Master Plan
A few wise words about landscape design and the landscape master plan. Although it is not for the untrained, it does not have to be a complicated domain for the homeowner. It can be as simple as converting an old stump, into a feature garden.
The effectiveness of a garden’s design in the overall landscape master plan, comes not from complexity or simplicity, but from knowledge and vision. Any garden design dream can be fulfilled with the proper know-how, and often it is desirable and advantageous to use on-site elements and materials. The landscape master plan will outline and map-out all these choices.
We as a Company have been preparing the landscape master plan and garden layout plans around the world, since 1973. We thought you might like to see how things are done in other Countries, as well.
Four words that should most influence your landscape master plan ideas are Unity, Proportion, Balance and Variety
- Unity means that there should be a sort of binding theme to your landscaping. Different parts of your yard should not look like they are at odds with each other. If you choose more of an English style, for example, then rethink your front yard landscaping ideas around that style. Themes vary from French to West Coast, from Mediterranean to Californian and from Japanese to English garden styles.
The landscape master plan outlines all the details of your choices, so no mistakes are made later on
- Proportion refers to how shapes and sizes blend together. This in no way means that all the shapes and sizes should be the same or similar, but it means that you should think and see things like an architect, assembling blocks of different shapes and sizes.
- Balance means that you should try to balance the overall picture. Should the picture be blended, soft and harmonized? Should it be aggressive and rugged? That’s your choice, but you should try to see your landscaping as a picture or painting. The necessity of a landscape master plan illustrates all this in advance, so you don’t get part way through construction and realize you should have done things differently.
- Variety doesn’t mean that you should have a bit of everything, everywhere. It means that you should have enough different plants to create a complex, yet unified landscape. The old cliche, “Variety is the Spice of Life”, certainly holds water, but only if the variety harmonizes and synergizes with the overall theme. Your landscape master plan will assure this happens.
- THE LANDSCAPE MASTER PLAN IS NOT ONLY A DRAWING. IT NEEDS TO CONTAIN ALL INFORMATION RELEVANT TO YOUR LANDSCAPE MAKEOVER. OFTEN IS IS MORE THAN JUST A SINGLE DOCUMENT.
Additional Important Points the Landscape Master Plan Details
By the way, it is rarely a good idea to plant a tree too close to a house. You may eventually be forced to cut off some branches and the whole tree may start to look bad. Planting a large number of trees or bushes so close to one another that you will be forced to cut half of them down in a few years is not good planning or an efficient usage to finances. Trees that will grow very tall and that might reach electric cables should be kept away from utility rights-of way and Trees that have roots that can damage the foundations of your house should be planted far away from the home foundation.
The landscape master plan includes a detailed Plant materials takeoff and a Planting Layout Plan, so tree and plant mistakes are avoided
Trees that will grow very big and block the sun completely should be kept clear of windows, doors and skylights. Unless if you do want to block the sun, of course. If that is so, maybe consider planting trees that lose their leaves in the winter, so as to get sun at least when the weather is cold. Be especially careful for those trees that you want to plant close to your house.
Everybody understands that a new landscaping has to grow in order to look full. Plants that are so aggressive that they will choke every other plant and will end up covering half your yard in a few years. If you like your car to be always spotless and if you have a driveway in your front yard, maybe you should refrain from planting trees that will shoot branches above your car. With a comprehensive landscape master plan, this sort of thing is avoided, since all plant, trees and shrubs are pinpointed on the plan and consideration to their size, spread, growth patterns and aggressiveness are taken into consideration in advance.
IT IS CRITICAL TO CREATE A FRONT YARD THAT IS WARM, INVITING AND VISUALLY APPEALING. EVEN THOUGH IT MAY BE LARGELY PSYCHOLOGICAL, THE FRONT YARD LANDSCAPE TELLS A LOT ABOUT THE HOME’S OCCUPANTS AND THE CONDITION OF THE HOME – ESPECIALLY AT SALE TIME.
The number one goal of your front yard landscaping ideas should be to make your property look great. A landscape master plan assures this. Even the best looking houses look much better when well landscaped. The reason they are well landscaped in the first place is a result of the landscape master plan, which eliminated possibility for error.
And properties that don’t look so good benefit even more from a good looking landscaping. Passersby and possible buyers consider the whole picture when they look at a property. An average looking house with a blend of shabby landscaping will score very low with most people, while the same house with a good landscaping will score much higher.
For interesting front yard landscaping ideas, you may look for a good home staging book that includes a solid section on exterior home staging. Real estate agents like to say that the three most important factors when evaluating a property are location, location and location.
Hire and bring in a Professional Landscape Designer, for some unbiased advice. They typically are not on commission, like a Realtor, so the opinions you get will more likely have greater validity. Taking care of your front yard will make your location look better, and if your neighbors pick up the ball and spruce up their own landscaping too, then who knows what may happen to your neighborhood.
Once it is completed, take your landscape master plan around and show it to your neighbors, so they can see the professional approach you are taking to the enhancement of your home and the neighborhood. They will surely appreciate it, and just might follow suit, which in turn increases the value of your home too.
The Overall Landscape Master Plan Design
As a general rule, creating a landscape that is at odds with the general appearance of your neighborhood may not be a good idea. Your frontal Gardens are designed to complement the Home’s architecture. They add pleasing aesthetics, curb-appeal, warmth and are inviting. When planning, you should maintain or enhance the general appearance and landscape of your locale. A proper landscape design can be dramatically enhanced by an Urbane Landscape Designer.
The 3 words applicable to the backyard Garden Design are form, function and style. Each has a purpose and each has a place.
These 7 important Landscape Design words should be the foundation for your Landscape, Outdoor Living Spaces, Garden and yard layout. Gardens with a well thought-out Landscape Master Plan will include Garden structures and Planting Plan, and are the key to giving your property maximum enhancement aesthetically and financially. Typically, the center of attention of a front yard landscaping should be the house itself, and everything should be used to draw attention to its strong points and to distract attention from its weak points. The landscape master plan takes this all into consideration in the drawings.
- YOUR BACKYARD GARDENS ARE EXCLUSIVELY YOURS. THEY ARE ONLY SHARED WITH THOSE YOU INVITE. THIS SPACE SHOULD DISPLAY YOUR PERSONALITY, HOW YOU LIVE AND HOW YOU INTERACT WITH YOUR LAND. THIS NEEDS TO BE REFLECTED IN YOUR LANDSCAPE MASTER PLAN IN ADVANCE OF CONSTRUCTION.
- THE LANDSCAPE DESIGNER YOU HIRE HAS TO BE EXPERIENCED IN MANY DOMAINS, INCLUDING PLANT MATERIALS. WHEN THE LANDSCAPE MASTER PLAN IS BEING CREATED, YOUR LANDSCAPE DESIGNER MUST KNOW IN ADVANCE, WHAT THE MATURE PLANTS WILL LOOK LIKE AS THEY GROW IN, AS ILLUSTRATED BEAUTIFULLY IN OUR VARIOUS WEBSITE SECTIONS.
Your backyard Gardens are a totally different story than the front ones, since they are private. These are the Gardens where you can let your creative juices loose because they have a totally different purpose. Unlike the frontal Gardens, your backyard Garden Design is for you, and those you choose to invite.
Getting a detailed landscape master plan is a must. In it’s absence, stress, disappointment, regret and mistakes will result
But in the end, your own landscaping design should show your house the way that you want it to be seen. People who are very outgoing or want to show their wealth will tend to make their house very visible, sometimes overdoing it with the accent lighting for example. Footpaths, stepping stones, bridges, ponds and streams are often incorporated into landscape design and illustrated in great detail on the landscape master plan.
The Garden’s Design, Plan, Layout, Materials, Structures in the Landscape Master Plan
The Gardens of your choice can be many, flower, water, ornamental or Japanese rock-gardens, for instance. Water features with Plants, Coy Fish and a Waterfall add a special touch to any backyard garden. An element of beauty, tranquility and peace to soothe mind, body and spirit through sight, smell and sound.
Urbane Landscapers Award-winning Landscape Designers provide an environment of peace and beauty and the Architectural Technicians at the URBREG International Group of professionals draw it all up for you on a Landscape Master Plan, in advance of a shovel ever hitting the ground.
- THE LANDSCAPE MASTER PLAN PROPERLY DONE, WILL INCLUDE MANY 3D CONCEPT RENDERINGS OF THE OVERALL LANDSCAPE. THESE WILL ILLUSTRATE HOW THE FINISHED PROJECT WILL APPEAR, BEFORE A SHOVEL EVER BREAKS GROUND.
Inspired by your desires, the elements Urbane Landscape Designers use in the garden, enhance the beauty and solace of it. They enrich your life on many levels. People who are more private or who are nature lovers will tend to prefer a front yard landscaping that hides the house almost completely.
Urbane’s Landscape Designers are experienced experts in their field and are worth every penny they charge for their ideas, expertise, skills and the landscape master plan.
Metro Vancouver and BC Lower Mainland enjoy a more temperate climate. Less cold and snow, allows a wider array of Plants, Trees, shrubs, water-plants and flowers. Even ornamental grasses flourish and add to the raw beauty of a focused and well planned BC landscape. People are often surprised to discover that exotic plants can also survive and thrive in metro Vancouver. The landscape master plan illustrates the marriage of the natural and the built environments, including the flora.
The North, Alberta and the Prairies on the other hand, requires some special landscape design and Plant skills. The Urbane Team of Experts knows the differences and how to ensure you can have a stunning landscape, no matter where you live. We coach Clients and help them plan according to Climate Zone Maps. Water and Plants can still be incorporated into colder climate Gardens with astounding success, but the techniques in construction are as different as night and day. Have a look at some of our reviews.
At the end of the day, all it takes is knowledge and technology to create the landscape and garden design of your dreams. Without a landscape master plan, failure of one sort or another is inevitable.
- THE LANDSCAPE MASTER PLAN WILL INCLUDE A COLLECTION OF COLOR CONCEPT RENDERINGS FOR ILLUSTRATION. THERE WILL BE INFORMATION NOTATED ON IT RELATING TO ELEMENTS TO BE DEMOLISHED, REMOVED, RELOCATED AND NEW BUILT ENVIRONMENT. THE LANDSCAPE MASTER PLAN WILL BE A GROUP OF DOCUMENTS THAT TELL YOU THE WHOLE STORY OF WHAT THE LANDSCAPE DESIGNERS PROPOSE FOR YOUR LANDSCAPE MAKEOVER.
We’ll meet with you for a Consultation and a better understanding of your goals will be obtained as a result of the meeting. The Urbane Landscapers Team will design a landscape master plan and incorporate any type of Garden Structure you desire, such as Pergolas, Archways, Trellis, Arbors or Seating Benches to compliment and highlight the Gardens.
As part of the landscape master plan, the Urbane Landscape Design Team will put together a collection of 2-D and 3-D hand-sketched and CAD generated drawings, together with extensive notes and Scope of Work documentation. Some of these will be needed for permitting and construction. Others including video walk-throughs, will be for you to be able to visualize and understand the concept, before it ever leaves the Design Studio. The finished Landscape Master Plan Design is the blueprint for all of it, to be built and installed.
- THE LANDSCAPE MASTER PLAN WILL INCLUDE THE ‘BUILT ELEMENTS’ YOU WANT TO HAVE IN YOUR FINISHED LANDSCAPE, SUCH AS A GORGEOUS, PRIVATE PERGOLA GARDEN SETTING.
In addition to your own ideas for garden structures, our Urbane Landscape Designers are loaded with them. We provide custom designed conceptual and construction drawings for Gazebos, Sheds, Pergolas, Trellis’s, Sunrooms, Arbors, Railings, Planters, Retaining Walls, Patios and Fences, just to mention a few.
Custom designed buildings and structures from our architectural technicians are built by our skilled Master Journeyman Landscape Carpenters, Tradesmen and Installers, supervised by our experienced, veteran Project Managers.
Whether simple or complex, small or large, Urbane Landscapers integrated Teams will create the perfect Landscape Master Plan Design, incorporating all the elements you envision and dreamed of for your Gardens. We’re there with you, from conceptualization through to completion.
At the URBREG Construction & Design Group & URBREG Landscapers, we prepare our Clients a full Video Walk-through of their new landscape, as part of the Landscape Master Plan. These are helpful for the Client to see the finished product. To view a more comprehensive Landscape Master Plan Design Portfolio, visit our Landscape Facebook Page.
For a unique Landscape Master Plan Design, get in touch today!
URBREG Landscapers email is email@example.com to book your LANDSCAPE MASTER PLAN
Our International Landscape Master Plan Design & Custom Home Design Team Network
Areas The Urbane Team of Home & Landscape Master Plan Design Contractors have worked in the past:
Calgary, Bearspaw, Springbank, Valley Ridge, Millarville, Bragg Creek, Turner Valley, Black Diamond, Okotoks, High River, Longview, Alderside, Blackie, De Winton, Sibbald Flats, Canmore, Banff, Cochrane, Cremona, Sundre, Olds, Pincher Creek, Lethbridge, Medicine Hat, Red Deer, Sylvan Lake, Rocky Mountain House, Drayton Valley, Edson, Valleyview, Whitecourt, Edmonton, Grande Prairie, Lloydminster, Bonnyville, White Rock, South Surrey, Surrey, Delta, Ladner, Tsawwassen, West Vancouver, North Vancouver, Vancouver, Richmond, Burnaby, New Westminster, Coquitlam, Port Coquitlam, Pitt Meadows, Maple Ridge, Fort Langley, Mission, Abbotsford, Aldergrove, Langley, Chilliwack, Kamloops, Kelowna, Penticton, Salmon Arm, Shuswap Lake, Vernon, Creston, Castlegar, Nelson, Osoyoos, Cranbrook, Invermere, Revelstoke, Interior lakes of BC, The Kootenays, The Okanagan, British Columbia, Yukon, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, Colorado, Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, Utah, Nevada, Arizona, Texas, Oklahoma, California, Florida, Cook Islands, Bahamas, Dominican Republic, St. Lucia, Puerto Rico, Jamaica, Belize, Bonaire, Aruba, Cayman Islands, Costa Rica, Cabo San Lucas, Guadalajara, Puerto Vallarta, Huatulco, Cancun, and many other surrounding areas in Canada, the USA, Mexico and Latin America.
Most noteworthy, the Urbane Construction & Design Group has Staff, Colleagues & Associates for Custom Home Design, Landscape Design, General Contractor & Landscaping Services ready to work on your landscape master plan & much more, in these countries:
Canada, United States, United Kingdom, Mexico, Spain, France, Germany, Italy, Portugal, Austria, Switzerland, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Ireland, Czech Republic, Finland, Romania, Poland, Hungary, Ukraine, Greece, India, Maldives, China, Singapore, Philippines, Japan, Australia, New Zealand, Puerto Rico, Brazil, Colombia, Argentina, Costa Rica, Cayman Islands, St. Lucia, Belize, Aruba, The Bahamas, Jamaica, Panama, Dominican Republic, Fiji, Barbados, Cook Islands, Bonaire and Grenada.